Feast your eyes on the REAL information, the lowdown on a day in the life of an Israeli. No media, no exaggeration- the honest truth. WELCOME TO ISRAEL!

יום ראשון, אוגוסט 13, 2006

Can't Let the Bastards Win!

This blog is a response I wrote to an e-mail I recieved a few days ago. First I'll publish the person's e-mail( in blue), followed by my response( in red). ( All names have been excluded)

Let's face it – things are tough. There's a major war going on in which friends and family members are involved. People are getting killed and maimed. Being on the other side of the world from these earth-shattering events, I'm at the mercy of the various pundits and media outlets that, as we all know, put their none too positive spin on things. Terrorist entities are turned into charitable organizations and legitimate political parties, and we here in the free world – for that's where we are, even in this post–Cold War era – are told that there's no way that we can win against them. (If these pundits and journalists had been the norm during the Second World War, the commonly accepted greeting by the end of the war would probably have been an outstretched arm, palm down – and I would probably not be here to write this.) On top of this, there are constant plots to attack us, as events such as those in the United Kingdom yesterday continue to prove. Fortunately, the plot was foiled, but the result was still diverted flights and cancelled or rescheduled travel plans – though ironically, yesterday was probably the safest day to fly in the US, with all the heightened security measures in place. The expression "You're letting the terrorists win" has become something of a cliché, even a joke, in the US since 9-11. But after living in Israel, and seeing how the people there manage despite all the efforts to attack and eradicate them, it's a forgone conclusion that the expression is true. The terrorists seek to create mega-spectacles of death and destruction; forget any political goals, it all too often seems like they're after death and destruction for their own sake. But they want to cause so much more than killing and destroying. They also aim to disrupt of our social, political, and economic ways of life, using these spectacles as devices to instill fear and trepidation – hence the terms "terror" and "terrorism." On the personal front, I am torn between keeping abreast of every development in the Middle East and just shutting it out. On the one hand, my family is in Israel. My parents, my daughter, my siblings, my extended family, and indeed – the whole Jewish nation, to which I belong. Everything that happens there affects me here, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. On the other hand, that effect is precisely what makes me want to shut it out. What is the point of going on about my business – my creative life, involving music, writing, photography, whatever else – when there are people fighting and dying? (I'm not in the position to do what would seem obvious to some – to drop everything and go to Israel and volunteer in some way. Believe me, the thought has occurred to me. But like many caring people making a living, it just isn't feasible right now.) Then I came to the conclusion: If I stop doing these things, the very things that keep me going, then the terrorists would have won. They'd have won their immoral victory against me by disrupting my way of life. And they'd have accomplished that without firing as much as a single bullet in my direction (though I'm sure they'd love to do that, given the chance). A number of years ago, during the suicide-homicide terror bombing campaign called the "intifada," I pondered exactly these same issues. From one side came the psychological effects of the terror war, sent via media from Israel to my abode on the Jersey Shore. From the other side, my conscience was nagging at me – how can I just go on doing 'my thing' when other 'things' are as desperate as they are? And in classic singer-songwriterly fashion, I resolved the dilemma with some lyrics. How can I go on singing love songs When things are much more bitter than sweet How can I keep rocking and rolling along While heads are rolling in the street My people get killed Their blood is spilled And I can’t do much more Than pray for our enemies’ defeat. chorus But you’d grant your enemies their victory If you just quit and pack it in To stop your singing, writing, and playing Isn’t just defeat, it’s a sin Don’t let them have their victory Don’t just give up or give in Stand up strong and sing your song You can’t let the bastards win You can’t let the bastards win … How can I write about my soul in exile life While mothers and babies are murdered How can I escape this stress and strife My resolve is undermined further The innocents slaughtered Their blood flows like water And I can’t be much more Than a frustrated observer. repeat chorus How can I play upbeat music While everything is on the way down How can I excuse it When wailing is the prevailing sound My people bury their dead They travel the roads with dread And I can’t do much more Than watching my nation go to ground. repeat chorus That's right, people. Keep doing what you're doing. Do what you're good at. Use your talents to make the world a better place, in whatever capacity you can. Perform random and deliberate acts of charity and kindness. Do not let fear and terror dominate your lives. Every such act is a blow to all the agents of the cult of death who seek to impose their evil will on us.



Dear ______, As much as i enjoyed reading your article that you e-mailed me, i must say that i would like to disagree with some of your points. Not only do the terrorists mean to " disrupt of our social, political, and economic ways of life," but they mean to destroy our spiritual way of life too. It says in the Torah that " Esav soneh et yaakov." This is a CLEAR example of what we see today with our Muslim neighbors. Why did esav HATE yaakov? Because he had a better way of life? No, esav was a hunter- he had plenty of food and wealth.He was a "player," he had women, money, excitement- everything that social and economic benefits give us today. So, then, what was the reason that Esav despised yaakov to the point of where he wished to KILL him? It was because Yitzchak blessed yaakov not only with physical things, but with the power of spirituality, morality, and connection to G-d. So nowadays, when we bring "esav soneh et yaakov" to modern terms ( aka us and the arabs), it means much more than monetary and tangible items. It is more than our social way of life. It is more than our political way of life, and it is definately more than our economic way of life. There are many proofs: one, Israeli government has endowed the misgein palestinians with PLENTY of arms and monetary helps. We have given them job opprotunities that their own BROTHERS wouldnt give to them! And even more painful, but true- we have even given up LAND that is rightfully OURS to them. However, it seems that the physical things ( our money, armaments, jobs, and land)is not what theyre after. They're after what yaakov has, and what esav has genetically endowed that they wouldn't: our spirituality. I only give you this background because my point of disagreement to your article is this: while it must be devastating to be sitting in Chu"l and watch this happen... it is even more devastating having this happen without YOU here. As much as we " can't let the bastards win" by letting them get under our creative skins( to stop our everyday life)- that is not what they're strictly after. ______, they want to obliterate us, and the only way that Hashem will hear our prayers is not if we sit in America and write songs about our pain! We have to get on the bandwagon and SHOW Him that we ARE deserving of His salvation, and that even more so: that we need it. Esav's nations are after our spirituality for a reason- because they know its the truth! They know that Hashem will bring us out of exile one day, and on that day " Hashem Elokeinu, Hashem Echad!" They know that to have that though, we need to show our true strength. So their goal isnt to make us scared about driving to the Netanya Beach, because we fear Ketyushas will fall out of the sky and obliterate us. Their goal is to make people's neshamot so scared that they turn from G-d's face, and hide. Many people after the Hitnatkut of Gush Katif felt this way- and in that respect, the Arabs won. Many people doubted their own country and government( wouldnt you if your fellow Jew was as cold-hearted as an icicle an evicted you out of YOUR house?) They felt a loss of connection to G-d, they felt estranged and alone. And the arabs won! To beat the bastards at their own game we need to show them what they're scared of: our spirituality and connection to Hashem! We need to flex our spiritual muscles and make them run away with their tails between their legs, and the only way of doing it is by BEING IN ISRAEL. To show them that not only are we making an economic, social, and political sacrifice- we are polishing our spirituality too. And on that day, the day we unite in Israel to show the arabs, the world, HASHEM that we believe, that is the day that Hashem will lift us forevermore out of this mess. I dont know if you read my second blog on blogger.com, but i was saying that "there will always be another time." Its in the human psyche to push things off, things that in reality we are scared to face up to. In simple terms: procrastination. There will always be another reason why NOT to move here, hey afterall its not as comfy-cozy here. The economy is in a flux, the politics are nearing barbaric, and the social life can be intimidating with the extremely large mix of international cultures. It starts out, " i will move to Israel when i have more money" ( an infamous excuse) but there is never an end to MORE money, because just like there is an infinate amount of numbers, there are an infinate number of ways you can get more money! Or it will turn into," I'll wait 'til after school" but after school turns into finding a job with your accredidations, and finding a job turns into buying a house, and buying a house turns into making it a home, and that turns into another "turns into," until youre 119 and theyre singing you happy birthday to you ( have a nice day!), and youre thinking " wow my life was great! Though i feel like im missing something. OH YEAH! Moving to Israel...whooops, kinda missed THAT boat!" I believe that in order to ensure that those bastards lose, we need to get our act together and show them why they should. We have the power to go both ways- to cringe and hide at the sound of their spiritual threat, or strenthen and unite and establish Israel to be our true home. Israel is always, ALWAYS, calling...you just need to open your ears. much love, Bracha

אין תגובות: